Pigmented skin? Skin looking extremely dry? Dark spots? Deep acne scars? Freckles and fine lines? Skin is exposed to many issues.
Should you go for cosmetic or dermatological skin treatments beyond using the natural skin care products? In some instances, you may have to get some skin treatments to get rid of the terrible skin problems. While healthy eating, good lifestyle and natural care prevents most of the skin conditions, keep your skin healthy and young. Damages to skin is inevitable, you can pick from plenty of safe and effective skin treatments. Chemical peel is one of the effective skin treatment which is available to get rid of most of the skin problems.
Let us understand what chemical peel is all about and how it helps to over your skin problems:
It is one of the very popular and widely used skin treatments. It makes the skin younger and fresher. Chemical peel improves the skin tone and texture of the skin. It reduces the aging signs, reduces the scars, eases away blemishes and makes the skin firmer.
Chemical peel is relatively very quick and needs no down time. An expensive skin treatment that almost transforms your skin from dab to fab in a jiffy.
How chemical peel is performed and how it works?
Chemical peel, as the name indicates peels the external layer of skin, obviously the damaged skin when the chemical is applied on the face. The peels remove the top most layer of the skin. A chemical solution is applied to your face, neck and hands.
It works like an exfoliating agent. Removal of the external layer of skin gives new life to the skin regenerates the growth of skin. Removal of the external layer of skin doesn’t harm the skin. Besides, new, fresh and healthy skin grows back in a short time with no blemishes.
The choice of chemicals and ingredients used to make the chemical peel is decided based on your skin type and requirement.
Chemical peels have proven to be better in following scenarios:
- It improves the skin appearance and also the texture of your skin
- It reduces the wrinkles and also the lines under the mouth and eye areas.
- Chemical peel has been the proven treatment for the acne scars
- It is also the most suitable treatment aging.
- It reduces the dark spots, age spots, spots which come during pregnancy and other stretch marks also.
Different Types of Chemical Peel
You have three different types of chemical peels,
- Deep peel,
- Medium peel and
- Subtle Surface peel
A deep chemical peel is your best bet if you develop signs of aging, blemishes, scarring, etc. A single session is sufficient to get rid of the skin problems and get desired results. Besides, it may remove more than one layer of skin, which is influenced by the type of skin damage. Apparently, the skin needs more healing time. You may not be able to move out until your skin heals.
After the skin treatment,
- Your skin will turn red and appear red for at least a week, and you need to cover your facial skin
- You need to keep your skin moistened
- Apply ointment for a week, frequently apply moisturizer and antiviral cream, serum
- Don’t wear makeup at least for 2 months until the redness disappears
- Avoid sun exposure for at least 3 months
- Visit your dermatologist every 2 weeks
- A deep peel generally shows way to the growth of fresh, unblemished and healthy skin, so you may not need a follow up visit for another
Deep peel is not performed on everyone. After thorough clinical examination, only upon recommendation from a dermatologist, it is performed.
A medium chemical peel gives long lasting results, but is milder than a deep peel. It treats acne scars and facial scars and blemishes.
After the skin treatment,
- Skin will turn red and swollen, which vanishes in 3 to 4 days
- Recommended frequent application of anti-viral cream, moisturizing lotion and meds.
- Avoid sun exposure at least for 2 weeks
- A follow up visit is required after a couple of weeks
- You can wear camouflage makeup after a week
Subtle Surface Peel
Subtle surface peel is very mild and your healing time is very minimal. However, the results are quite short and you may need repeated visits to the spa clinic. Surface peel is ideal for busy bees who don’t have sufficient time to rest the skin after a deep peel. One session of chemical peel skin treatment consumes around 15 to 30 minutes.
After the skin treatment,
- Mild redness and scaling of skin
- Just wrap your face from the sun for around 3 days
- Daily usage of sunscreen and moisturizer is required
- You can wear makeup after 2 days of peel
- 3 to 6 peeling sessions is required
- Frequency of peels – no less than 2 weeks a peel
You can get the subtle peel in your lunch time too! It is a quick fix to skin damage.
In general, rubbing, scaling or scratching the skin not recommended.
Stay away from heat and eat cooling food.
Don’t miss application of sunscreen with minimum SPF 25.
Common chemicals used in chemical peel skin treatment
What is Gylcolic Acid Chemical Peel?
It is most widely accepted and used chemical peeling acid, which is water soluble and work nicely on most of the skin types and help to remove the lesions, elasticity and it restores the steadiness.
What is a Latic Acid Chemical Peel?
Lactic acid chemical peel is best for dry skin and also for treating the ageing issue like wrinkles under the eye and mouth area and also for the pigmented skin. This chemical peel can be used on the weekly basis.
What is a Jessners Chemical Peel?
Jessners chemical peel is supposed to be the most used and the best chemical peel treatment of cystic acne and acne scarring. It causes frosting immediately when you apply the peel.
What is a Mandelic & Azelaic Acid Chemical Peel?
It is a kind of chemical peel which is suited to all skin types. It has low irritation factor and it is an excellent solution for the fine lines, pigmentation and also for the aging factor.
What is a TCA Chemical Peel?
TCA chemical peel is mostly recommended for the damaged skin, which includes the skin having the following damages
- Hyper pigmentation
- Sun Damage
- Precancerous Lesions
- Lines under the eyes and mouth
- Lip Creases
- Sun Burn
Is chemical peel risky?
Chemical peel is not for dry skin and very sensitive skin! You may need to wrap your facial skin and generously, regularly apply moisturizer on your skin.
Who is not the right candidate for the chemical peel treatment?
Chemical peels are not for everyone.
- A person has the skin disease
- A person has any kind of infection and cut or the broken skin
- Extremely sun damaged or excessively sun exposed skin
- Currently having the herpes simplex
- If you are pregnant
- If you are currently having, Dermatitis, Rosacea, Psoriasis or Eczema.
- You are also not the right candidate in case you are on the skin treatment and also using the products like bleaching, skin lightening agents, ascorbic acid and other acid products.
Oily skinned people can make the most of chemical peel. Since it removes the top layer of skin, it also removes the greasiness of the skin.
When not performed by an experienced and expert esthetician, you skin may suffer from persistent redness and scarring.
Chemical peel is for every skin color! Dusky skinned people need to consult with a dermatologist or a professional cosmetologist to get the right chemicals. Inappropriate use of chemical peels may result with permanent pigmentation. However, don’t think you can alter the skin color, from dusky to light with a chemical peel. It addresses the skin damages by removal of the top layer of skin!
Is the chemical peel treatment and regimen right for me?
Chemical peels can be the right treatment for several skin types. If you are looking for the appealing radiant skin and fine skin texture, you can go for a chemical peel. Also, it helps avoiding the filthy look which comes due aging process. Chemical peels also treat skin tan, sun damages, sunburn, acne and stretch marks developed during pregnancy. If you experience any one or combination of the above skin problems, then you are the right candidate for the chemical peel treatment.
If you are using the chemical peel for the first time, then choose the peel products like jessners, lactic, Azelaic, glycolic, Mandelic, salicylic, or TCA peels are among the best for your skin type. However, stay away from chemical peels if your skin type is sensitive. Also, moisturize your skin with a good moisturizing skin and a skin serum.
Different types of chemical peels as skin treatments listed above are performed by certified professionals, estheticians and dermatologists. Handling laser equipments need precision and expertise.
Make sure to visit a dermatologist or a certified cosmetologist to get the treatment done. Keep visiting this space for more information about skin treatments and skin care.